Re-use of electroporation cuvettes?

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Thu Mar 24 11:35:58 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar24.104032.1 at sara.cc.utu.fi>, malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi writes:
>> Hi!
>> No problem. We reuse them many times
...............stuff deleted...........
>> NO AUTOCLAVING, NO BLEACH otherwise they will flash after two or three
>> attempts to reuse. Also if a cuvet flashes then it goes IMMEDIATELY
>> into garbage.
>
>This is not quite true, because I've been using cuvettes over 20 times now and
>after every time I have soaked cuvettes in diluted bleach for 20 min. After
>that cuvettes have been rinsed thoroughly in dH2O, then rinsed with 70 % EtOH
>and finally with 100 % EtOH..........stuff deleted........ And very RARELY
> I have seen any sparking at all. Whether it is sparking
>or not is more up to your sample and the amount of salts in that.
>
>Marko
>

>Marko Laine
>Univ. of Turku  		   	   	   Malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi
>Dept. of Plant Physiology
>BioCity 6th floor
>20520 Turku                     (-o-o-)            Tel: +358-21-633 8076

Marko, I presume from your affiliation you may be electroporating cells
other than bacteria which often require high voltages compared to other
types of cells; the arcing (in our hands) also depends on what type of
parallel resistance is chosen on the electroporation device.
Regards, Peter
>Finland

*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284    *
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953    *
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu  *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                          *