Re-use of electroporation cuvettes?

malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi
Thu Mar 24 03:40:32 EST 1994

> Hi!
> No problem. We reuse them many times over. The protocol is very simple.
> ASAP after electroporations wash with tap water (I put a blue tip on the
> end of the rubber tubing I have on my faucet so I can get rather high
> water pressure), wash with deionized water, wash with 70% ethanol,
> dry on paper towels (upside down) and reuse.
> NO AUTOCLAVING, NO BLEACH otherwise they will flash after two or three
> attempts to reuse. Also if a cuvet flashes then it goes IMMEDIATELY
> into garbage.

This is not quite true, because I've been using cuvettes over 20 times now and
after every time I have soaked cuvettes in diluted bleach for 20 min. After
that cuvettes have been rinsed thoroughly in dH2O, then rinsed with 70 % EtOH
and finally with 100 % EtOH. Then I inverted cuvettes onto a clean paper towel
in flaminar food and let them dry completely. After that they are ready to use
again. And very RARELY I have seen any sparking at all. Whether it is sparking
or not is more up to your sample and the amount of salts in that.

Marko

Marko Laine
Univ. of Turku  		   	   	   Malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi
Dept. of Plant Physiology                          Malaine at polaris.utu.fi
BioCity 6th floor                \\ //             Fax: +358-21-633 8075
20520 Turku                     (-o-o-)            Tel: +358-21-633 8076
Finland               ----oOOo----(_)----oOOo----  NMT:  949-864 954

	  	      - Dr. Livingstone, I presume...