Enzyme test for ghost bands

bss032 at vaxa.bangor.ac.uk bss032 at vaxa.bangor.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 07:06:07 EST 1994

Dear Ghost-Band Busters,

I have a cloned and overexpressed enzyme which specifically degrades ssDNA
whilst leaving ds plasmids intact, it is called t5 exonuclease and I will send
some to anyone in the UK who has a plasmid prep. complete with ghost band.

IF the band is really a deletion of the plasmid it will be undegraded by T5.
IF, however, it is a circular ssDNA (some replication intermediate) then
my exonuclease (with ss enodnuclease activity) will kill it off.

Should be worth a one-pager in NAR?

Cheers, Jon Sayers
REF: A single-strand specific endonuclease copurifies with T5 exonuclease,
(1991), Nucleic acids research, vol. 19, No. 15, 4127-4132 (Sayers and Eckstein)
Jon R Sayers (Cell and Molecular Biology), Biochemistry Dept.,
University College North Wales, Univ of Wales, Bangor, LL57 2UW.
Tel +44 248 38 23 54
Fax +44 248 370731
Email bss032 at uk.ac.bangor  or bss032 at bangor.ac.uk