Diatom. Earth ref.

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Mar 24 12:00:42 EST 1994

In article <0hY7AJ200Uh_43smod at andrew.cmu.edu>
"Bruce E. Taillon" <bt0u+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Sorry to waste the bandwidth but I was wondering if some one could
> relate the reference for minipreps using diatomaceous earth...

Which reference were you interested in? Of course you could find this in
the FAQ list under "silica for DNA purification". But, I'll post the
references anyway...

@article{Carter1993,
author = "M. J. Carter
     and I. D. Milton",
title = "An inexpensive and simple method for {DNA}
purifications on silica particles",
journal = "Nucleic Acids Res.",
volume = "21",
number = "4",
pages = "1044",
note = "diatomaceous earth used as matrix for Gene Clean",
year = "1993"}

@article{Marko1982,
author = "M. A. Marko
     and R. Chipperfield
     and H. C. Birnboim",
title = "A procedure for the large-scale isolation of
highly purified plasmid {DNA} using alkaline extraction
and binding to glass powder",
journal = "Anal. Biochem.",
volume = "121",
pages = "382-387",
note = "Gene clean; modification of Birnboim and Doly
alkaline lysis procedure",
year = "1982"}

@article{Sparks1983,
author = "R. B. Sparks
     and J. H. Elder",
title = "A simple and rapid procedure for the purification
of plasmid {DNA} using reverse-phase C18 silica beads",
journal = "Anal. Biochem.",
volume = "135",
pages = "345-348",
note = "Gene clean; modification of Holmes and Quigley
boiling lysis procedure",
year = "1983"}

@article{Vogelstein1979,
author = "B. Vogelstein
     and D. Gillespie",
title = "Preparative and analytical purification of {DNA}
from agarose",
journal = "Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA",
volume = "76",
number = "2",
pages = "615-619",
month = "February",
note = "crushed flint glass from scintillation vials used
as Gene Clean binding matrix",
year = "1979"}

@article{Willis1990,
author = "E. H. Willis
     and E. R. Mardis
     and W. L. Jones
     and M. C. Little",
title = "Prep-A-Gene[TM]: A superior matrix for the purification
of {DNA} and {DNA} fragments",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "9",
number = "1",
pages = "92-99",
note = "Bio-Rad Prep-A-Gene DNA purification kit (Gene Clean)",
year = "1990"}

BTW, keep an eye out for an upcoming article in TIBS on this subject...

@article{Hengen1994Aprtibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and Reagents: On the magic of mini-preps...",
volume = "19",
number = "4",
pages = "182-183",
month = "April",