Sequencing gel combs (leakage)

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Mon Mar 28 20:42:41 EST 1994

At 11:55 PM 3/28/94 +0000, the End wrote:
>Hello comrads,
>Has anyone figured out why sequencing gels will leak on many occasions
>allowing loaded samples to flow into adjacent spaces ? I use a "shark's
>tooth" comb and more than half of the time find movemnet of the laoded
>sample between the plate and the comb.
>I often allow my gels to polymerize merely several hours while others
>swear that overnight is necessary. This may lead to a soft edge at the
>top perhaps. Otherwize swelling and seperation of the gel from the
>plate may be occurring during the pre-run.
>Any tips greatly appreciated. At this point I would just a soon load
>into regular analytical wells due to this problem.
>E-mail copies if possible

Hi Jim,

        I found, that it is mostly depending on which way I put the shark tooth in. I haven't quite figured out, if it is the same way or the opposite orientation as when I pour the gel.
The clamping also has some effect. I only put one clamp in the middle now and two at the ends and it works fairly well MOST of the times.

I know, this is some kind of vodoo stuff almost, but hey, anything that works! :)

good luck,

Helge WEISSIG                              e-mail: helgew at
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation        phone: (619) 455 6480 x253
10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.                  FAX: (619) 455 0181
La Jolla, CA 92037

     God invented surfing, so that the really talented people
     would not rule the world. - unknown