Sequencing gel combs (leakage)

the End jgraham at
Mon Mar 28 18:55:29 EST 1994

Hello comrads,

Has anyone figured out why sequencing gels will leak on many occasions
allowing loaded samples to flow into adjacent spaces ? I use a "shark's
tooth" comb and more than half of the time find movemnet of the laoded
sample between the plate and the comb.

I often allow my gels to polymerize merely several hours while others
swear that overnight is necessary. This may lead to a soft edge at the
top perhaps. Otherwize swelling and seperation of the gel from the
plate may be occurring during the pre-run.

Any tips greatly appreciated. At this point I would just a soon load
into regular analytical wells due to this problem.

E-mail copies if possible