How to dry a polyacrylamide sequencing gel on the glass plate.

Joyce Bock jbock at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Mon Mar 28 17:20:45 EST 1994

> Dear Netters
>
> 	I am now involving with nonisotopic DNA sequencing techniques.
> One of the techniques is the silver staining sequencing gel. In brief, one
> of the glass plate has to be treated with a binding solution to chemically
> cross-link the gel to the glass plate to prevent tearing of the gel during
> the silver staing protocol. After staining, we usually get a faint sharp
> bands on the gel. In order to get a permanent record with a darker bands
> (according to Promega's protocol), in the dark room, we place stained gel
> attached to glass plate(gel side up) on a fluorescent light box. The the
> special EDF film will then place on top of the gel. Turn the light box on
> for 20 seconds.  The film can be then developed using standard protocol
> for developing of autoradiographic film.
>
> 	My problem is before EDF film development on top of the gel. The
> gel must be complete dried. Drying gel on the glass plate, very often that
> small clack occur on our gels. Therefore, we will be deeply appreciated
> that anyone out there can shade us some light of how to dry polyacrylamide
> gel on the glass plate with out breaking or clacking.
>
> Wasun

> Wasun Chantratita, Ph.D.                        Phone:053-221122 Ext 5086,5068
> Department of Clinical Microbiology             Fax:  053-221890
> Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences       Email:asmsi002 at cmu.chiangmai.ac.th
> Chiang Mai University
> Chiang Mai 50200
> Thailand

I just fix the gel in 10% acetic acid for about 20 min.(already accomplished
if you have silver stained the gel), wash in deionized water about 10
minutes, and let the gel air dry on the bench or in a chemical hood
overnight.