Sequencing gel combs (leakage)

Jarmo Niemi jarnie at
Wed Mar 30 01:12:32 EST 1994

In <CnEFsI.Htp at> the End (jgraham at bronze.ucs. wrote:

> Has anyone figured out why sequencing gels will leak on many occasions
> allowing loaded samples to flow into adjacent spaces ? I use a "shark's
> tooth" comb and more than half of the time find movemnet of the laoded
> sample between the plate and the comb.

Where does the leak occur ? I had the problem, that the dye leaked from
under the teeth. This was solved by sinking the tooth abt 1mm into the gel.
Although it warps the well bottom slightly, it doesn't appear to hurt

No warranty, of course.

Jarmo Niemi   Biochemistry, University of Turku
              SF-20500 Turku, Finland
	      FAX ++358-21-633 6860
              jarnie at