Sequencing gel combs (leakage)

Michael Coady coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Tue Mar 29 19:53:32 EST 1994

	The recent postings on problems with sequencing gels reminded
me of a little trick I tried out recently, which actually worked as
intended.
	Despite all efforts to make my plates perfectly clean, and
despite using a silicone treatment, I still get little bubbles.  I
have been pouring plates that are perfectly horizontal; in fact,
the word pouring isn't really applicable to the capillary process
that's involved.  In any case, I got rid of my bubbles by including
a very thin drawn quartz tubing in the gel, at one side.  After the
gel was poured, I held the tubing at both ends and carefully drew
it across the gel.  It pulled the bubbles to one side pretty well.
I didn't need to use all the wells, so I was happy enough to get
all the bubbles to one side.  If need be, I could have made a big
loop with this tubing and pulled it right through the gel, bringing
the bubbles along with it.  The tubing is available down to
0.165 mm O.D., so it can be used for 0.2 mm gels.  If anybody wants
to try it out, I can dig up the retailer.  I've gotten it from a
lab that's used it for renal tubule perfusion, and for use in
electrophysiology.

Mike

--
Michael J. Coady