Sequencing gel combs (leakage)

Christopher Cilley cdcilley at oxytricha.mit.edu
Tue Mar 29 21:05:32 EST 1994

In article <CnEFsI.Htp at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> the End,
|> jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu writes:
|> >Has anyone figured out why sequencing gels will leak on many occasions
|> >allowing loaded samples to flow into adjacent spaces ? I use a "shark's
|> >tooth" comb and more than half of the time find movemnet of the laoded
|> >sample between the plate and the comb.

I had this problem until people in the lab told me I had to clamp the top
of the gel after inserting the comb.  I use plain old "big" black paper clamps.
Once I started doing that I had not a leakage problem again.  I didn't
have to clamp the top of the plates anymore once it was in the apparatus.

Luck,
--

	- Christopher

"People who don't fight the unjust condemnation of others
 but internalize it are, Miss Manners admits, badly in need of
 lessons in self-esteem."	-Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners)

cdcilley at oxytricha.mit.edu