(none)

Marion Freistadt mfreis at lsumc.edu
Wed Mar 30 14:15:27 EST 1994

>> >Can someone in netland explain the relative virtues of glycogen
>> >and tRNA as a carrier? Are they just as good as each other for
>> >sticking to DNA?

I can't really offer any special insight.  I think of it simplistically:
tRNA is a substrate for contaminating nucleases, so it's good if your prep
is dirty or if you are isolating labelled RNA.  Glycogen is good because
it's not a nucleic acid so it won't interfere with tricky reactions down
the line, like PCR or ligation.   Glycogen is just chemically similar
enough (the phosphate backbone?) that it reduces random losses through
sticking or inefficient precipitation.

Good luck