Glycogen v tRNA and OLD BONES

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Wed Mar 30 12:56:29 EST 1994

In <9403291318.4d9781ff.LN1 at Lincoln.cri.nz>, SCRIMSHAWB%GRIEHFS at LINCOLN.CRI.NZ ("Scrimshaw, Brian J") writes:
>Can someone in netland explain the relative virtues of glycogen
>and tRNA as a carrier? Are they just as good as each other for
>sticking to DNA?

Should be equally good per se. The advantage of glycogen is that it is not a
substrate for, nor an inhibitor, of nucleic acid modification enzymes. It does not
enter electrophoresis gels, and it is higher mol wt. It does absorb in the 220nm
range, so a scan of DNA+glycogen will not look like pure DNA.

One point to always remember when using tRNA OR glycogen carrier: the material must
be rendered nuclease-free by proteinase K digestion, phenol:CHCl3 extraction, and
EtOH pptn.

>I'm trying to extract DNA from old bones and have been using
>glycogen as a carrier, with little luck, it may just be the DNA
>in the bones is too degraded or a protocol problem. I had no luck
>with silica and am trying a proteinase K approach with
>concentration in a microcon 30 after addition of glycogen, any
>advice appreciated.

First advice would be to add some DNA restriction fragments - 32P-labeled if you wish
- to your initial bone sample, and see whether they are recovered. Proteinase K
treatment (in pres of 0.1-1% SDS + 10-100mM EDTA) at 55-60 deg C is very reliable for
other sources. Make sure you aren't trapping DNA IN, or losing it THROUGH, the
Microcon.

|  Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
|  Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
|  University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
|  2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |