Double stranded DNA sequencing

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Wed Mar 30 12:38:20 EST 1994

In <Stephen_Lasky-280394084514 at tonto-slip3.cis.brown.edu>, Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu (Stephen R. Lasky) writes:
>--
>It seems like a lot of companies have recently changed their products for
>the worse.  ......   Now the Magic to
>Wizard switch.  Did they do away with the mini-prep kits altogether, or is
>this the new version of what was called the Magic PCR clean-up kit?

The "Magic" resin was removed from the market because it was an illegal infringement
on a patent held by BioRad. The original material is BioRad's "Prep-a-Gene".

BioRad also makes an InstaGene resin for preparing PCR-able DNA from cell
lysates. We haven't used these - tried Prep-A-Gene once and it worked, but not any
better than other methods. We always do PCR on bacterial plasmids from half a colony
resuspended directly in the PCR reaction tube; works fine.

|  Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
|  Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
|  University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
|  2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |