C. elegans DNA

Ron Kagan rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 30 22:15:58 EST 1994

In article <CnHupM.MG5 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> Steve Carlisle,
sjc4h at receptor.pharm.Virginia.EDU writes:
>Folks,
>I need to prepare C. elegans' DNA for PCR only.
>Does anyone have a protocol for the extraction,
>and any ideas as to how many worms I should be
>growing up.  Any help or a reference is
>appreciated.  Thanks in advance,
>
>Steve, sjc4h at virginia.edu

I would recommend the book *The Nematode C. elegans* ed. W.B. Wood, Cold
Spring Harbor Press, 1988.  It has a good chapter on general methods for
working with C. elegans, including a genomic DNA prep.  You will get
plenty of genomic DNA for PCR purposes from 4-5  9 cm plates or a 100 ml
liquid culture (probably even less is needed, but why underestimate? :)).
 If your library doesn't have the book, E-mail me, and I can send you the
DNA purification protocol.

Ron Kagan
rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu