<None>

polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 10:35:00 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar31.123756.460 at chmeds.ac.nz>, mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz (Martin Kennedy) writes:
> In article <2n2ha1$39c at quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca>, asimmond at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Andrew Simmonds) writes:
>> I am sure this has been covered before....
>> I am having trouble getting TIGHT bands with Northern blots from
>> formaldehyde RNA gels...  When I cut off the ladder from the gel and look
>> at it sideways the bands are "tilted" i.e. ( / )  and I am sure this is a
>> problem when I transfer the RNA to a membrane causing the wide bands I am
>> seeing.  I put 2.2M formaldehyde in the gel and use a standards MOPS
>> buffer...
>> Might anybody suggest a better way?
>>
>> Andrew Simmonds

Martin Kennedy replied

> I seem to remember someone round here having the same problem, due to
> formaldehyde diffusing out of the gel...... etc

Hi there,

See Biotechniques vol 14;380-381

ie put formaldehyde in the buffer (note 0.22 M final conc in gel and buffer).

Hope this helps.....it improved resolution for me.

regards from ianP
Ian Polkinghorne                        SIG: If I can now see a little further
NERC Institute of Virology                   it's only because my glasses were
and Environmental Microbiology               cleaned for me... ANON
Mansfield Rd, Oxford  UK
polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk