RNA Gel

polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 11:22:43 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar31.153500.1 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk writes:
> In article <1994Mar31.123756.460 at chmeds.ac.nz>, mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz (Martin Kennedy) writes:
>> In article <2n2ha1$39c at quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca>, asimmond at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Andrew Simmonds) writes:
>>> I am sure this has been covered before....
>>> I am having trouble getting TIGHT bands with Northern blots from
>>> formaldehyde RNA gels...  When I cut off the ladder from the gel and look
>>> at it sideways the bands are "tilted" i.e. ( / )  and I am sure this is a
>>> problem when I transfer the RNA to a membrane causing the wide bands I am
>>> seeing.  I put 2.2M formaldehyde in the gel and use a standards MOPS
>>> buffer...
>>> Might anybody suggest a better way?
>>>
>>> Andrew Simmonds
>>

> Martin Kennedy replied
>
>> I seem to remember someone round here having the same problem, due to
>> formaldehyde diffusing out of the gel...... etc

 Hi there,

 See Biotechniques vol 14;380-381

 ie put formaldehyde in the buffer (note 0.22 M final conc in gel and buffer).

 Hope this helps.....it improved resolution for me.

 regards from ianP
 Ian Polkinghorne                        SIG: If I can now see a little further
 NERC Institute of Virology                   it's only because my glasses were
 and Environmental Microbiology               cleaned for me... ANON
 Mansfield Rd, Oxford  UK
 polk at molbiol.ox.ac.uk