CHEF-vs-ROFE

Tony Sanchez tsanchez at eye1.eye.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 31 14:53:22 EST 1994

I am looking into purchasing a PFGE setup.  In the literature there seems to be a
preference for CHEF.  Is there any basis for this preference, or is it just due to
familiarity with Bio-Rad and word of mouth.  Has anyone used ROFE?  In
Methods in Molecular Biology Vol. 12  there is a chapter on ROFE, and it appears
to be superior to CHEF in my opinion.  It has more field angles and the same or
better resolution.  It has the advantage of a larger gel (20 x 20 cm) and a small
footprint (only 25 x 40 cm).  It also does not need a refrig. or cold room.  The main
draw back I can figure out is that the mechanical rotator is not precise with a short
pulse time (a few seconds or less).  Does an have any experience using ROFE?  Are
there other manufactures than Biometra?  How reliable is the rotator?

Tony
Tony Sanchez
University of Florida  Dept. Ophthalmology  1600 SW Archer Road
JHMHC #100284  Gainesville, FL 32610
Phone (904)392-2720      Fax (904) 392-7839           tsanchez at eye1.eye.ufl.edu