Kanamycin or G418 for plant transformation?

Jason Lei leij at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Thu Mar 31 23:01:54 EST 1994

For plant transformation, nptII gene is commonly used as a selectable
marker; kanamycin is often used for such selection.  However, at least
two groups working on rice transformation have shown that kanamycin
interferes with regeneration.  When they substituted knanmycin with G418,
they got higher regeneration rates.  I wonder if this also happened with
other plant species?  I am particularly interested in this information
for Petunia hybrida.

Jason

--
				   Jason Lei