How to dry a polyacrylamide sequencing gel on the glass plate.

Mark Mark
Wed Mar 30 01:50:01 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.87.9403282121.A19670-0100000 at cmu.chiangmai> asmsi002 at CMU.CHIANGMAI.AC.TH (Wasun Chantratita) writes:
>Dear Netters
>
>	I am now involving with nonisotopic DNA sequencing techniques.
>One of the techniques is the silver staining sequencing gel. In brief, one
>of the glass plate has to be treated with a binding solution to chemically
>cross-link the gel to the glass plate to prevent tearing of the gel during
>the silver staing protocol. After staining, we usually get a faint sharp
>bands on the gel. In order to get a permanent record with a darker bands
>(according to Promega's protocol), in the dark room, we place stained gel
>attached to glass plate(gel side up) on a fluorescent light box. The the
>special EDF film will then place on top of the gel. Turn the light box on
>for 20 seconds.  The film can be then developed using standard protocol
>for developing of autoradiographic film.
>
>	My problem is before EDF film development on top of the gel. The
>gel must be complete dried. Drying gel on the glass plate, very often that
>small clack occur on our gels. Therefore, we will be deeply appreciated
>that anyone out there can shade us some light of how to dry polyacrylamide
>gel on the glass plate with out breaking or clacking.
>
>Wasun

>Wasun Chantratita, Ph.D.                        Phone:053-221122 Ext 5086,5068
>Department of Clinical Microbiology             Fax:  053-221890
>Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences       Email:asmsi002 at cmu.chiangmai.ac.th
>Chiang Mai University
>Chiang Mai 50200
>Thailand

We dry down isotope containing gels routinely.
After the gel has been fixed in situ, we place the
plate/gel at ~30-40 degree angle in a 90C oven for
about 1 hr. We don't find the gels crack at all

Mark Smith
Dept. Biochemistry
Uni of Sydney, Sydney
Australia