storage of blood sample

YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW
Mon May 2 19:39:55 EST 1994

Would anyone tell me the simplest way to store whole blood sample? I am a clini
cal psychiatrist with "biological mind". I frequently meet patients with bipola
r disorder and schizophrenia with familial aggregation. While I get the consent
s of the patients or their families to draw their blood I hesitate to do it. Th
ere are so many samples that I cannot afford to do it (or I don't wnat to do it
). Although I know those samples will be useful someday in the future.
I try to collect a psychiatric DNA bank but I don't want to spend time extracti
ng DNA currently. I have no assistant. Would it be
O.K. that I add DMSO or glycerol in the whole blood and store it in -70,C ? Wou
ld the DNA of these sample be OK with this method of storage? How about the whi
te blood cells? Is it possible that I transform the white blood cells with this
method of storage in the future?     Thanks.

CHEN-JEE HORNG, M.D.
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY
VETERANS GENERAL HOSPITAL-TAIPEI
TAIPEI, TAIWAN, R.O.C.