A readable but not aesthetic sequencing gel

Martin Leach leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Tue May 3 22:34:58 EST 1994

In article <Cp7pEw.FDo at umdnj.edu>, bawagan at umdnj.edu (Hinayana Bawagan)
wrote:

>     My sequencing gels can give me the information I want but they are not
> beautiful.  I just hate this.  I get lanes that tend to constrict.  I do blow
> the airbubbles off the wells to remove the urea with a glass pipette.  As
> soon as the temp is around 50, I load the samples but not fast enough to keep
> the temp from dipping to below 45.

Denature them 80C for ten minutes then place them on ice rapidly. Then load
them.

  I have trouble reusing the same tip when
> others in my lab can just use one and seldom get it clogged.

I use a new tip everytime - (i also chop sequioa (typo?) daily and dont
recycle polystyrene packages)

>      I am using the Sequenase Version 2 kit.  Anyone out there can give me
> their reliable bag of tricks that you can not get from a book but can only
> be learned from experience.
>      Thank you.

Well i find the trick is to always load from my left hand while wearing one
red and one blue converse sneaker. A waxing moon or a month with an R in it
usually helps (although i put the latter down to superstition).

Martin 'too much caffeine today' Leach

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
p.s. try BioMOO (virtual biology on the internet - telnet
bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888)