RE. western blotting apparatus

ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu
Tue May 3 17:07:43 EST 1994

On 3 May 1994 11:31:16 -0700,
zeilerk at TCPLINK.NREL.GOV  <zeilerk at TCPLINK.NREL.GOV> wrote:

>>Please can I have recommendations for a good Western blotting apparatus?
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Kathy Cheah
>>HRMBDKC at HKUCC.BITNET
>
>For
>the big size I favour Bio-rad its simple to use and puts the Hoeffer tank to
>shame (I feel the hoeffer tank is very fiddily). However for mini-gels only your
>better using a smaller tank to save on solutions etc, and for this apparatus I
>am reliably informed the Hoeffer system is tops.
>D.C.Logan
>Montpellier
>
>I have used BioRad, Hoeffer and now Novex.  I am in love with the Novex system.
>It is smaller than BioRad (which is excellent but uses sooo much buffer, etc)
>but a little larger than Hoeffer.  I have had only moderate success with the
>Hoeffer system and do not like it.  The great thing with the Novex system is
>their precast gels, also.  While a little pricey, they preclude problems with
>reproducibility, etc.

I have used Hoeffer (large size only) for about ten years and not had a
single problem with them.  They are not at all "fiddily".  They are
extremely easy to use, but so are all blotting apparati that use wet
electrophresis for transfer.  I have not used Novex or BioRad, but the lab
next door had a BioRad and aside from a smaller tank (and more closely
spaced electrodes - a definite advantage) I can't say that there is any
major difference from Hoeffer.  The lab with the BioRad did have a major
repair problem when the BioRad electrode connection went bad as it is
permanently bonded into the apparatus, I believe.   Each electrode snap
fits in the Hoeffer apparatus, allowing for easy replacement or
cleaning when needed.  With  I should mention that I never cool my
units with running water, instead I blot slowly in the cold room or
faster in an ice water bath.

BTW, if you are not using large amounts of protein in your samples, the
blotting tank buffer can be saved in the tank and used for several
different blots, reducing the cost.  We use it 4 times then toss it.
Curt Ashendel
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN
ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu