$2.50/base Oligos

pmiguel at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu pmiguel at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Tue May 3 09:52:53 EST 1994

In article <65129.ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu>, <ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu> writes:

>This leads me to my comment and question...
>
>I have been getting my oligos at a local core-grant supported facility (in
>my building) for as low as $1.85/base, 0.2 umole scale, no set-up, no
>shipping charge.  As the commercial prices have fallen, many labs here have
>begun to order oligos from outside enterprises.  It seems that as the price
>drops futher, it will become more and more difficult for the on-campus
>facility to maintain its volume and will have to raise prices or to cease
>operations.  Has this happened to anyone yet at their institution?If not,
>how has it been avoided: more subsidy or better efficiency?
>Curt Ashendel
>Purdue University
>West Lafayette, IN
>ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu

  $1.85/base!  How do you manage that?  An oligo from the Purdue core facility
costs us $70 for 19mer or less and something like $130 for 30mer or less.  A
little more that $3.50/base at the cheapest (0.2 umole synth).
  For several years it's been cheaper to order an oligo above a 29mer from
Operon ($2.50/base + $20 set-up, 1 umole scale).  But the majority of
oligos purchased by our lab are 19mers (well, they would be 20 or 21mers
but we don't want to pay the $60 surcharge for those additional 1 or 2
bases...) so we went with the core facility.  But now companies like IDT
have claimed that turf by offering us 2.25/base, no set-up (for
a 0.04 umole synth -- I think).  Per ug of oligo the core facility is still
cheaper but it is extremely rare for me to go through 0.04 umole of an
oligo -- so who cares.

Phillip SanMiguel
Purdue University