HELP: Stripping western blots

littgj at littgj at
Tue May 3 07:04:50 EST 1994

In article <Coxopn.5wM at>, ez005528 at (Kevin Morano) writes:
>I'm trying to do sequential probings of a western blot with different
>antibodies and am having a tough time stripping the previous antibody
>off. I have been using a protocol which is essentially an acid (pH 2.2)
>glycine/NaCl/TX-100 wash, and it looks like less than 10% of the old
>primary Ab is coming off. What do people use out there? By the way, I
>develop with DUPont's Renaissance chemi. kit, so I could theoretically do
>many probings.
>Thanks in advance!
>Kevin A. Morano
>Internet:kamorano at
>Bitnet:kamorano at ucdavis
>Section of Microbiology, University of California, Davis
I tried to get through to your kamorano at address
yesterday but got bounced! Annyway, we prepared a note for our
Biotech Update in the summer of 1993 which described the use of
the following to strip membranes: 100 mM 2-mercaptoehanol , 2% SDS,
62.5 mM Tris-HCl (pH 6.8) for 30 min. at 50 degrees C.
If you want a copy of the note, send me your FAX #.