gel imaging

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu May 5 07:59:09 EST 1994

In article:  <j-cheeseman-040594093831 at spergularia.life.uiuc.edu>
  j-cheeseman at uiuc.edu (John Cheeseman) writes:

> I am trying to use a video camera/image capture board to image gels and
> have the difficulty that the camera video chip sees the uv even after it
> passes through the yellow filter used for polaroid cameras.  The result is
> that we can see the light bulbs beautifully, but the bands on the gel don't
> show up much.  Does anyone know of a filter system/camera combination that
> works for this? (We have tried a number of cameras, from cam corders to b/w
> surveillance cameras, to a panasonic 5100 with the same results).

Get hold of a filter type P70-600-R from Corian, Holliston, MA. This is a
2-inch diameter band pass filter with a 600-nm transmittance peak and a 70-nm
half-maximal bandwith. Price $180. Have a look at Biotechniques, June 93
pp902-5. I still see the UV bulbs depending upon which transilluminator I use.
A new UV Products one is particularly bad whilst a very old one with a UV
degraded filter (white on the UV bulb side but still allows UV through) is
fine. The problem is that the CCD chip is sensitive right across the
spectrum.

Duncan

Duncan Clark                        | Internet:    duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
GeneSys Ltd.                        | Compuserve:  100015.1406 at compuserve.com