PCR from hair follicles/buccal(sp?) ce

Mike Morris mike at divsun.unige.ch
Thu May 5 07:32:32 EST 1994

  We make DNA from cheek scrapes for PCR and for Southerns. We scrape
with a sort of "ice lolly stick" - incubate the tip of the
stick in NaCl/EDTA, SDS, proteinase K - extract 1x phenol, 1 or 2x
chloroform.
  It may not be high speed, but it always works for PCR and
for Southerns (of mitochondrial DNA - I haven't tried nuclear genes).
Michael Morris PhD
Division of Medical Genetics       tel (Switzerland) (22) 702.56.94
CMU, University of Geneva          fax (Switzerland) (22) 702.57.06
Geneva, Switzerland                email mike at medsun.unige.ch