YEAST LIBRARIES

Manuel Simon ma at ABC.univie.ac.at
Fri May 6 10:34:13 EST 1994

In article <2qc2do$8te at news.mic.ucla.edu> Ron Kagan <rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu> writes:
>From: Ron Kagan <rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu>
>Subject: Re: YEAST LIBRARIES
>Date: 6 May 1994 00:19:04 GMT

>In article <199405041845.LAA07153 at net.bio.net> RICE,
>RICE at ICBR.IFAS.UFL.EDU writes:
>>CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A LOW COPY NUMBER  PLASMID THAT IS SUITABLE FOR MAKING
>>YEAST GENOMIC LIBRARIES? IT WOULD BE NICE IF IT WERE ALSO A SHUTTLE
>VECTOR,
>>BUT NOT NECESSARY. THANKS, LORI

>I've used a yeast library in the plasmid YEP24.  It is a shuttle vector,
>and it is suitable for yeast genomic library construction.  There may be
>other plasmids that are better, though.  Check the literature!

>Ron Kagan
>rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu

To my knowledge YEp24 is ha high copy vector! It carries both, the tetracyclin
and the ampicillin resistence gene and therefore is rather big (appr. 8kb).
There are other smaller ones (YEp351 (LEU2 marker) and 352 (URA3)) which are
easier to handle. For low copy I would take e.g. a cen-plasmid like YCp50 or
so.

Manuel