help: promoter isolation eta

Xiao Qiu xqiu at uoguelph.ca
Sun May 8 17:11:54 EST 1994

Recently we have isolated a clone from pollen cDNA library of alfalfa which
showed significant homology with the alfalfa early nodulin gene. This
interesting feature might indicate that the pollen-specific gene is involved
in recognition and interaction between pollen and stigma, similar with
interaction between nitrogen-fixation bacteria and host plants. we plan
to further charaterize the clone such as test of the hypothesis and its
promoter analysis.
Thus our questions are: 1). how to test our hypothesis that the gene
involves cell interaction. 2). is there simple and fast way to isolate
promoter region only such as PCR or primer extention.
Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.