message stability

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Mon May 9 03:51:23 EST 1994

Henry (sticknbd at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu) wrote:
: I just ran a time-course where some initial mRNAs
: went down but others stayed up.  I am hypothesizing
: that this has to do with message stability, but I am
: not familiar with standard means of confirming such
: an hypothesis.

There are several possibilities I am aware of:
1) Pulse-chase labeling in vivo with tritiated uracil.
2) Measurement of RNA stability in the presence of Actinomycin D (I
   think this works only for prokaryotes). Actinomycin D inhibits
   the RNA polymerase, therefore if you measure RNA stability, you
   measure RNA decay directly.
3) Nuclear run-off transcripts (I am not familiar with this one)

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */