An RNA question !!!!***

Shahram Mori smori at
Tue May 10 00:43:55 EST 1994

Dear Moleculentters,
I would very much appreciate your opinion regarding the following
experiment that I would like to do:

	I have an Unknown RNA molecule that I would like to Liagte
	to a vector. T4 RNA ligase can use the 5'P overhang of a
	rescriction enz digested- DNA as a donor to ligate DNA-RNA.
	This allows an RNA molecule with 3'OH to be ligated to a
	ds DNA. I plan to use RT to make a cDNA copy.

   DNA	***************5'P  +     OH3'----------------------5'OH  RNA
	Make the first strand cDNA synthesis.

	Do PCR:

        <------------------------||||(primer compl. to cDNA)
   Vector spfc|||------------------>

	And then use Dideoxy sequencing to get the gene.

I would like your comments on this method.Has anybody done an RNA ligase
RNA/DNA ligation and are there any tricks to it? Also since the sequence
of the RNA is not known is it best to use the a random Hexamer to get a
complemenatry sequence to the cDNA for the PCR?

Thanks a milion for your input. Suggestions are welcome.
Shahram Mori
Program in Molecular Biology
Dept. of Chemistry Box 3C
NMSU   Las Cruces NM