Packaging extract protocols wanted, maybe

futers at bpxtal.leeds.ac.uk futers at bpxtal.leeds.ac.uk
Wed May 11 05:50:56 EST 1994

In article <9405102233.AA0044 at bmmb01.umesci.maine.edu>, rr at BMMB01.UMESCI.MAINE.EDU (Robert Roxby) writes:
>I would be grateful to have any well-tested and reliable protocols for making
>lambda DNA packaging extracts.  I know that various methods manuals advise
>buying them, but they are rather expensive and the protocol in Meth. Enzymol.
>Vol 152 pp 194-195 doesn't look that formidable.   However, if your experience
>suggests that I should take the manuals' advice, I'd be glad to hear about it.
>Thanks.
>
>Robert Roxby                           rr at bmmb01.umesci.maine.edu
>Biochemistry, Microbiology             rroxby at maine.maine.edu
>   & Molecular Biology                 72053,1712
>University of Maine

Hi Robert,
quite time consuming and you had to find the optimum amount of each
extract in a test packaging.  I switched to using commercial single
extract system (Promega's Packagene).  Unless you are going to do
alot of packaging, I think it is worth buying the extracts.  I also think
that the single extract system is better than the two extract system.
It is simpler to use and you do not have false positive plaques due
to lambda DNA in the extract.
   I hope this is of help.
           Simon Futers (futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk)
P.S.  I have no connection with Promega other than being a customer :-)