UV/Vis Spectroph - which one do you like best?

Bratty John bratty at BCH.UMontreal.CA
Fri May 13 18:11:22 EST 1994

In article <leach-120594153341 at med-pharm5.bu.edu> leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu (Martin Leach) writes:

   In article <94132.104340U10784 at uicvm.uic.edu>, <U10784 at uicvm.uic.edu>
   wrote:

   > Hi, Bionetters;
   >
   > We are still on a shopping spree -isn't it good once in a while? - but the numb
   > er of choices is staggering and technical mumbo-jumbo is intimidating.
   >
   > So, if you can e-mail me some reasons why you like - orDO NOT like ;-) - your s
   > ystem I will really appreciate your help.
   >
   > If there is sufficient interest I will post a summary.

   We use the Shimadzu UV/VIS spec....works like a dream.

   Can use volumes as low as 60ul (using microcuvettes)
   to 1000ul - using larger cuvettes.

   Works well for molbiol...
   also prot chem.
   can program it. do times courses for exps, can heat the samples to a
   certain temp.... etc... pretty fancy stuff.
   If u want more info - will give phone/fax for the company.

   Martin

Well, we use the Shimadzu UV160U spectro, and we all hate it.  It's a
cursed lemon.  But, I suspect that ours is not the same model as the
one referred to by Martin Leach.  Although ours does quite a bit of
fancy data processing, it does not heat samples.

I don't like to bad mouth any product, and I have no doubt that
Shimadzu also makes some good stuff, but after all the frustration I
have sufferred due to our spec, I couldn't let M. Leach's ringing
endorsement pass without at least a little rider.

John Bratty		     	bratty at medcn.umontreal.ca
Dept. de Biochimie
Universite de Montreal     	(514) 343-6111, ext. 5165
C.P. 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville	(514) 488-9979
Montreal, Canada H3C 3J7

John Bratty		     	bratty at medcn.umontreal.ca
Dept. de Biochimie