*** MAKE MANY MONEY FAST!! ***

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Mon May 16 20:46:29 EST 1994

In article <2r8t47$dip at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, erwg0233 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik Robert Wilson) writes:
>  As a practical question, is there anything that we as the
>readership of bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts (or any other group) can
>do to help control garbage like *** MAKE MANY MONEY FAST!! ***.  I
>am tired of seeing pyramid schemes on the network (and it must be
>far worse for those without good newsreader software).  When I get
>one of these things through surface mail I forward it to the postal
>inspector but I am not sure what to do when they show up on electronic
>media.  Comments?
| Erik Wilson              |

Yes: 1. **Forward** the post back to "postmaster at sender's address" with
        something to the effect: "Here is an illegal post to bionet.XXX by
        one of your people" in the subject line.

     2. **Resist** any attempt to post a disparaging comment like the one
        above.
        Obviously, anyone who is posting such a message is likely doing it
        to a number of news groups which they don't intend to read and/or
        are not likely to be disturbed by anyone's response.  Even though
        the single original post was bad enough (i.e., I took the time to
        do #1 above), it was exacerbated by another 5 or 6 posts like the
        one above, which can sometimes go as high as 10-20 such responses.

Regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284	*
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953	*
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu	*
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                        	*