End-labeling in gel slices?

Mark S. Rose msr2 at cornell.edu
Tue May 17 17:38:58 EST 1994

Hi folks

I would like to label the ends (and only the ends) of a 500kb DNA fragment.
 I'm concerned that extracting this fragment from a gel prior to labeling
it may result in shearing which presumably would result in positions other
than the ends also being labeled.  To avoid this I'm thinking about
performing the end-labeling in low melting point agarose.  Does anyone know
how effective T4 polynucleotide kinase is in agarose or have other
suggestions as to how I might achieve my purpose.