concentrate DNA

Patrick Leahy pleahy at
Wed May 18 10:26:19 EST 1994

In article <leach-100594115919 at>, leach at (Martin Leach) writes:
>In article <Stephen_Lasky-100594100938 at>,
>Stephen_Lasky at (Stephen R. Lasky) wrote:
>> In article <2qdukt$r35 at>, wzhao at wrote:
>> > Hi, there:
>> >
>> > Does anybody know a quick, easy method for concentrating
>> > DNA sample, such as for sequencing?
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > Wei
>> Precipitate it  and resuspend it in a smaller volume.
>Even easier,
>put it in a speedivac dessicator/evaporator and dry the DNA down.
>Resus it in a smaller volume of water.
Easier yet, but about $3/sample are centricons and centripreps sold by
Amicon, inc. in Massachusetts.  They are molecular filters.  They have
various cut-off molecular wts.  Since mol wt of a typical plasmid is
greater than 2 million, I find the 100,000 cut off the obvious choice.  Use
centricon-100 if sample is less than 2ml. Final vol will be about 50 ul.
If sample is between 2 and 15ml, use centriprep-100.  Final vol will be