concentrate DNA

Patrick Leahy pleahy at neuron.uchc.edu
Wed May 18 10:26:19 EST 1994

In article <leach-100594115919 at med-pharm5.bu.edu>, leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu (Martin Leach) writes:
>In article <Stephen_Lasky-100594100938 at poncho-slip7.cis.brown.edu>,
>Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu (Stephen R. Lasky) wrote:
>
>> In article <2qdukt$r35 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, wzhao at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, there:
>> >
>> > Does anybody know a quick, easy method for concentrating
>> > DNA sample, such as for sequencing?
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > Wei
>>
>> Precipitate it  and resuspend it in a smaller volume.
>>

>Even easier,
>put it in a speedivac dessicator/evaporator and dry the DNA down.
>
>Resus it in a smaller volume of water.

Easier yet, but about $3/sample are centricons and centripreps sold by
Amicon, inc. in Massachusetts.  They are molecular filters.  They have
various cut-off molecular wts.  Since mol wt of a typical plasmid is
greater than 2 million, I find the 100,000 cut off the obvious choice.  Use
centricon-100 if sample is less than 2ml. Final vol will be about 50 ul.
If sample is between 2 and 15ml, use centriprep-100.  Final vol will be
600ul.
Patrick.