Humidity

daj (David Johnston) daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Tue May 24 02:41:02 EST 1994

On 23 May 1994 06:10:51 GMT,
  Jane Harrison writes:

>I have a problem with my 96 well plates, the edges keep drying out even
>when I have put water in the provided holes to maintain some humidity.  I
>am growing virus which takes 5-7 days to infect fully under the growing
>conditions, and I can't seem to stop the plates starting to dry out in this
>time.  The cells require air flow so I can't parafilm the plates to keep
>the mositure in.
>Any ideas welcome.

I assume you are working with a humidified incubator.

You are not going to like the solution I adopted to this in my tissue
culture days 'cos it became very expensive on plastic (I was cloning EBV
transformed monkey cells which took a couple of months to come up!). Forget
about trying to grow cells in the outer rim of wells of the 96 well plate -
I filled the outer rim of wells as full as safely possible with sterile
dH2O (plus pen/strep/fungizone if you are paranoid) and kept topping it up
regularly throughout the life of the culture. If things are really bad, do
this for the outer 2 rows (see what I mean about expensive on plastic!).
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB. England
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)