Protein preconcentration

Ed Rybicki ed at
Tue May 24 12:06:30 EST 1994

In article <mhocw.5.2DDD831C at> mhocw at (MR CW HO [GEN]) writes:
>Subject: Protein preconcentration
>From: mhocw at (MR CW HO [GEN])
>Date: Sat, 21 May 1994 03:42:20 GMT

>Dear Netters,
>    I am trying to preconcentrate proteins extracted from plants. I hv to
>this date being unsuccessful.

A number of ways: one from Les Lane at U Nebraska at Lincoln is to extract
your proteins with phenol, then ppte them out of the phenol phase with 5 vol
of cold methanol, wash with methanol, then resusp in Laemmli buffer.

Another is to acetone ppte - but in my hands, this resulted in nasty insoluble

Another is to ppte with polethylene glycol/salt mixtures: you can go up to 20%
PEG6000 with 2.5% salt, should ppte everything, and kindly enough to be able
to resusp without boiling in SDS/2-ME.

Have fun,

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |    "Now you've got the hang of it    |
 | (ed at        | There's nothing you can't do with it |
 | Dept Microbiology           |        If you're very into it        |
 | University of Cape Town     |         You can't go wrong...."      |
 | 7700, South Africa          |               -Mad John              |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         | (Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, Small Faces)|