Antisense Design

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. Bernstein at WSU-ID.Dayton.OH.US
Tue May 24 22:44:40 EST 1994

This is a general posting.

We have been playing with anti-sense oligos for about 18 months. Our goal is
to inhibit Respiratory Syncytial Virus, a negative stranded RNA virus which is
completely cytoplasmic in its replicative cycle.

We have discovered that either native DNA oligos or phosphorothioate
derivatives seem to do much better vis a vis cell penetration when they are
mixed with lipofectamine. Unfortunately, they probably transit rapidly to the
nucleus where they are unavailable to inhibit our virus.

Three general questions:

Does anyone have a feeling if conjugation of an oligo to cholesterol or
poly-L-lysine will help penetration? The literature supports this notion.

If we assume that they will poenetrate better as a cholesterol or
poly-L-lysine conjugate, which would be preferable?

Finally, will either poly-L-lysine or cholesterol help the oligo to remain in
the cytoplasm for a prolonged period of time or will the oligo naturally
compartmentalize to the nucleus?

Thanks for anyones input. Perhaps this will start an "anti-sense thread". I
haven't seen much on it in this newsgroup.

Jack Bernstein