Isolation of RNA by silica?

pgt (Paul Taylor) pgt at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Wed May 25 11:13:37 EST 1994

Please Help!!!!!
I am trying to find out if the Guanidinium thiocynate/ Silica method of DNA
extraction is also suitable for efficient extraction of total RNA.
My wish is to simultaneously extract both RNA and DNA by this method.
I am assuming that RNA will not be degraded by any of the reagents employed
and that the sugar phosphate backbone of RNA has a similar affinity for
thiocyanate.
I have noticed that Bio101 geneclean kits claim to remove RNA without the
use of RNAse enzymes. Does the same apply to all silica based extraction
methods or is it peculiar to Geneclean's reagents?

Also, what is the general level of stability of RNA with respect to
temperature, freeze-thawing, UV light etc.

Comments appreciated, Thanks.
Paul G. Taylor (Research Fellow: Molecular Archaeology)
DNA Laboratory, Department of Palaeontology, Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road, LONDON SW7 5BD