Heavy Duty Communication Programme (PC-Plat Form)

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Wed May 25 17:12:17 EST 1994

Wasun Chantratita (asmsi002 at CMU.CHIANGMAI.AC.TH) wrote:
: Dear Netters,

: 	Right now I have to handle nearly 100 mails/day from various
: biosci-electronic conferences, mostly from methods-and-reagents. My
: question is, is there any communication software that might help me taking
: care of large volume of mails better than Procomm Plus for Windows
: (PC-Plat Form) that I currently use?

	Good question, but perhaps this is not the best place to ask it.
There are lists such as comp.sys.windows that discuss software for
windows machines.  This is a biology list, and most of us here don't
really know which Mail program is the best for your needs.
	I do not know the answer to your question because I am
not sure what type of connection to the Internet your University has.
I know that here at the University of Vermont, we used to have only
access to Bitnet and not to the Internet.  This meant that we could
not use newsreaders, FTP, and many other things that people with Internet
access now take for granted.
	Because you are still reading this list as MAIL from a LISTSERVER,
I assume you do not yet have the capability to read it as a USENET NEWSGROUP.
If you are stuck with MAIL, there is not a whole lot you can do to improve
the situation.
	If your university has an Internet line (I think they are called T-100
lines) then you should look into getting access to a newsreader, GOPHER,
NCSA-Mosaic, and other Internet tools that far surpass the capabilities
of MAIL.  Here in the United States, most grade schools, high schools and
private citizens still use a modem to connect to the Internet, usually
through a local bulletin board or service such as CompuServe.  Most larger
universities now have direct links to the Internet so tools such as
GOPHER and MOSAIC can be used.
	Modems are quite slow, so it only makes sense to transfer ASCII
text information through them.  Direct lines allow much more rapid transfer
of data, so it becomes possible to do INTERACTIVE networking (your
keyboard controls machines at remote sites) and to transfer pictures, sounds
and other binary data.
	With modem access to the Internet (whether direct or through a
bulletin board or Compuserve-like service) you can only send mail to
remote sites (such as sending a mail message to a LISTSERVer) and then
wait a few minutes to hours for a response via mail.  With a direct line,
you can ask a remote computer (such as the molecular biology server at
NCBI) what files are stored on it, then ask it to send you one of those
files.  Tools such as FTP, TELNET, GOPHER, and MOSAIC make this very easy
to do, once you have these tools installed on your computer.  They all
require ETHERNET or another type of direct line, rather than a modem.
I may be wrong but I do not think that even the fastest modems available
today can allow you to run these tools.
	Ask the computer services people at your university to tell you
what type of access to the Internet is available to you.  The price of
an ethernet board is about the same as the price of a modem, but installing
the wires will cost you something.  Modems just use regular phone lines.