Cyclers for automated sequencing.

John H McDonald mcdonald at strauss.udel.edu
Thu May 26 10:06:07 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9405262020.D22122-0100000 at cmu.chiangmai.ac.th>,
Wasun Chantratita <asmsi002 at CMU.CHIANGMAI.AC.TH> wrote:

>	As far as I know, your capillary tube cycler may use light source
>as a heating element instead of solid state electronics. Be careful, strong
>light for up to 20 min is more than enough to damage any fluorochrome
>coupling to the oligonucleotide primers.

The Idaho Technologies capillary tube cycler does indeed use a very bright
halogen light as the heat source.  I was worried that this would damage
the dyes, so I did experiments where I set up identical reactions and ran
some in a conventional thermal cycler, some in the Idaho machine shielded
from the light, and some in the Idaho exposed to the light.  The ones
exposed to the light might have been slightly less intense, but not enough
to make a difference in the quality of the sequence.  If you're worried
about it, it's easy to rig up a light shield attached to the capillary
tube holder.

John H. McDonald
Department of Biology
University of Delaware