dissolving BSA

Thu May 26 17:12:58 EST 1994

> Frances,
> I have used Sigma A4503 many times to make Denhardt.  I
> usually make 200X Denhardts.  Indeed, it is slow to
> dissolve, but with a stirring bar and time it works.
> Also it is helpful to apply some heat --not too high
> or you could get denaturation , but 40-45 deg C.
> Good luck.
> rick
> rocket1 at bu.edu

	One of the common mistakes I have seen made in trying to
dissolve BSA, among other things, is that we try to take the BSA
powder in a beaker, add the required amount of DW and start shaking.
When we do this, if you see closely, the BSA powder forms a gluey
lump immediately on coming contact with water.  And it is this
lump that takes a long time for dissolving.

	Instead, I usually have the beaker with water on a magnetic
stirrer and stirring.  Now, when I add the BSA powder, it does not
form a lump, but instead will form something similar to a suspension.
Stirring for few minutes will make this go into the solution
as opposed to the long time it takes for a big lump.  If anybody
has some experience making a solution of caesin for blocking western
blots and trying to adjust the pH with acid, you may recall that
the same holds true.

	Just my 0.000001c worth.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu