Ethidium Bromide Alternatives?

Shahram Mori smori at opus.nmsu.edu
Wed May 25 22:58:56 EST 1994

Timothy Bushnell (bushnt at rpi.edu) wrote:
: In Article <2rqufh$43p at oac4.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>, PHEACOCK at utmmg.med.uth.tmc.edu
: (Philip Heacock) wrote:
: >Hello, is there a less toxic (or safer) alternative to ethidium bromide?
: >We thought of dying the DNA with ethidium homodimers (from Molecular Probes)
: >but I am a little woried that this stuff is going to be a whole lot more
: >mutigenic. The plus side of the homodimer is you stain the DNA before you run
: >it on the gel, thus you use less than 0.1 ng per lane.  Thanks for your help.
: >
: >Phil Heacock

A few months ago there was talks on this net that said that EtBR is
nonmutagenic to us because it's incapable of entering the cells.Are there
any confirmations of this?
Cheers.
Shahram

 _/\_