Sequencing Glass Plates

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Mon May 30 09:22:00 EST 1994

In article <2s5l54$nul at news.duke.edu>, ksuiter at acpub.duke.edu (Karl Arthur Suiter) writes...
>Hi All!
>
>  In our lab, we run the BRL S2 sequencing rigs (14" X 17").  However,
>we've noticed that the mortality rate for large sequencing plates is quite
>high.  Of course, we expect some wear and tear and breakage due to
>stress from the heat/cool cycles.  We have LOTS of the smaller (14" X
>15.5") plates however, BRL will only sell glass plates in sets.
>
>  Since we only need the large plates (and BRL will not sell glass plates
>individually), we would like to have them made locally.  Can anyone
>comment on the makeup of the glass of these plates?  Are they made out
>of any particular type of glass?  Are they heat-tempered?  Does anyone
>know of any other sources for these type of plates?
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>                                                              Karl

Karl,
	When we used to do radiolabeled DNA sequencing, I had our local
glass shop make plates for us out of DOUBLE STRENGTH 1/4 inch window
glass.  However, I re-designed the tabs for more support.  Instead of
having them cut in from the top with a glass saw, I had them use a glass
cutting tool to make rounded inside cuts with their diameter approximatly
that of a quarter (25 cent coin).  Let's see if I can draw it:

	|-----|                                  |-----|
	|     |                                  |     |
	|     \                                 /      |
	|      \                               /       |
        |        -----------------------------         |

These tabs with rounded inside corners have less stress and break off less
often.  I should have patented the idea :-) since they are easy for an
experienced glass cutter to make and less prone to breakage.

Enjoy and cheers.......bruce
 \  Bruce A. Roe                  Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry /
 /  Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.   INTERNET: BROE at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu  \
 \  University of Oklahoma        BITNET:   BROE at uokucsvx                 /
 /  620 Parrington Oval, Rm 208   AT&TNET:  405-325-4912 or 405-325-7610  \
 \  Norman, Oklahoma 73019        FAXnet:   405-325-6111                  /