which BSA?

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Tue May 31 13:12:09 EST 1994

In article <9404317704.AA770425398 at tcplink.nrel.gov>,
zeilerk at TCPLINK.NREL.GOV wrote:

> A professor on sabbatical in my lab showed me a good trick to get BSA to
> dissolve and to avoid making the big glob of goo upon stirring, etc.  You just
> sprinkle the whole amount you need to dissolve on top of your desired solvent >in a small beaker.  You must allow enough time, it takes about 30 min. to >dissolve 1 g in 100 ml of Tris-buffered saline.  The beauty of the method is >you just leave it, do something else, and  voila!  I think it will work with >most any BSA but we typically use fraction V, essentially fatty acid-free - I >believe (from  Sigma).

...and yet another method is to pour 80% of your final volume of aqueous
"solvent" into a dish and lightly sprinkle your BSA over the surface. The
increased surface area allows almost 'instant' dissolving and with several
passes one can easily get 2-3 g of BSA into solution in approx. 15 minutes.

Oh...the unused 20% is to wash the dish.

Cheers

Karlos
--
Karl Fischer
Dept. of Medical Microbiology and
kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
tyr-2 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca

He gave them a smile, pulled out a bottle of wine
Said 'I never existed, you've been wasting your time.'
<Take a Long Line - Angel City>