DEPC treated water in PCR

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Tue Nov 1 14:56:46 EST 1994

In article <38jofj$e1a at cerberus-138.wustl.edu>, MOE at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU (AARON
J. MOE) wrote:

> Does anyone know if DEPC-treated water will cause problems in PCR?  I just
> found out that some of my oligo primers were diluted in DEPC water and they
> don't seem to work anymore.  Thanks.

aaron,

the problem that you may be having is not with the DEPC, but with the water
itself.  primers which are diluted in water rather than Tris or TE (my
personal favorite) break down much more quickly than if they are in a
buffered solution.  FWIW, i always elute, dilute or whatever-lute DNA
(oligos, cDNAs, genomic, etc.) in TE (10mM Tris, 1mM EDTA pH8) and end up
having much better luck with them.

eric

--
*Of course it's not true...         *
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)862-2435 (home)
660 s. euclid box 8103                           (314)362-7058 (FAX)
st. louis, mo 63110