Lambda DNA resists digestion

Rob Mauk rmauk at crick.bio.uci.edu
Tue Nov 1 16:01:16 EST 1994

I have isolated lambda gt10 DNA by PEG precipitation followed by organic
extraction and ethanol precipitation, and find that it is almost
completely resistant to digestion by EcoRI and all other enzymes that I
have tested.  Proteinase K treatment did not help, nor did additional
extractions and precipitations.  Plasmid DNA digests normally with these
enzymes, but if the plasmid is mixed with the lambda DNA, it is rendered
undigestable.  Any comments or suggestions regarding the nature of this
contaminant, or solutions to the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.