Question on chillies

DE ANGELIS,DINO BG2Z000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA
Tue Nov 1 23:42:45 EST 1994

In article <395p56$k80 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ROGERSH <hilary.rogers at afrc.ac.uk> writes:
>Netters - I have often found that deep scientific questions to the net often
>go unanswered, while those of a more whimsical nature generate many replies.
>Anyway, to help prove this to myself I would be grateful for any answers to
>the following question (which has troubled myself and others over many beers):
>What is the name of the scientific unit for the degree of hotness of a chilli
>and, more importantly, how is it measured? Does an international standard exist?Sorry, thats three questions.
>.
>.
the fiery sensation which chili peppers cause is due to capsaicin, a
potent chemical which survives both cooking and freezing processes.
The amount of capsaicin present in a chili determines its fieriness.
In addition to causing a burning sensation, this substance triggers
brain to produce endorphins-natural painkillers that promote a sense
of well being and stimulation. Chilis are classified on a scale of 0
(bell peppers) to 10 (habanero-handle this baby with gloves, people: it
is 30 to 50 times hotter that the jalapeno!!!)

Dino De Angelis
McGill University
Biochemistry Dept.
3655 Drummond St.