Quantitative protein determinations in plant extracts

Ekramoddoullah, Abul Kalam M. aekramoddoul at PFC.Forestry.CA
Tue Nov 1 18:27:11 EST 1994

In article <CyEDoz.Du8 at phibred.com>, bipin dalmia <dalmiabk at phibred.com> writes:

>what is an absolute method of protein determination in plant extracts
>besides gravimetric analysis? in particular, does anyone have data on how
>nitrogen combustion, Kjeldahl or any other method compare when
>determining total protein content in any kind of crude preparations? we
>are getting pretty large differences between lowry (folin), BCA and
>bradford assays. these were done with BSA as a standard, and all buffer
>inteferences were eliminated.
>
>bip

	Not knowing how you had prepared the crude extract and type of plant and
tissue used for extraction, I have a feeling that your extracts contained phenolic copmpunds free or
bound which give rise this difference. I had a similar problem a few years ago
with conifer tissues. I had overcome these obstacles by developing a suitable
method for protein extraction and subsequent method for the determination
protein in plant extracts. The latter method will be published in Phytochemical
Analysis shortly. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to give me a
call me at following number.
Thanks Abul

  EKRAMODDOULLAH, ABUL KALAM M.     Title: Research Scientist
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: AEKRAMODDOUL at A1.PFC.Forestry.CA