hydroxylamine mutagenesis

Hinayana Bawagan bawagan at umdnj.edu
Wed Nov 2 20:31:46 EST 1994

    One of two methods I will use for mutagenizing my plasmid DNA is by
hydroxylamine.  I have no experience with this method but it has been
successful for isolating temperature sensitive mutants of yeast.
    The protocol that I have states that the mutagenizing solution should be
prepared FRESH.  I would like to ask if this is a strict caveat and what is
the reason for it. The protocol that I have appears straightforward and easy.
To those who have experience with the method, did you have problems, tricks,
precautions that you would like to share with me?